Monday, January 13, 2014

Pizzafaux part 2


(lousy photo - sorry)

Well, game two of my adventures into Malifaux is in the books. It so happened that I was able to play my buddy Chris again (with his Perdita list). We had a bit of a slow time (again) setting up and getting started, but once we got rolling things seemed to move along.
I found the setup process a bit tedious, only because we had to keep referring to the manual, but I think we did everything correctly so that's a good sign. As soon as time allows, I hope to make a small cheat sheet for the setup process, along with a listing of the Shared Strategies, and the Scheme lists.
While I'm not intending this post as a detailed "battle report", I will just mention a few highlights (or lowlights depending on which side of the table you're on).

We each picked the same Scheme (murder protege), which was kinda funny, because we both were not familiar enough with our opponents army, so we had to look at one another's cards, in order to pick the model with the highest SS cost. So, we both decided to "announce" that scheme as well, since it was obvious.

I chose for my second Scheme the default "line in the sand" - which again, I thought was obvious once I started measuring from the edge of the table to plant my markers, but lucky for me, Chris didn't catch on, until I placed my last marker.
I posted this question in the Wyrd forums, about how to go about this scheme without measuring, and received a couple good tips.
*I'm confused on the wording of this scheme... It says if you reveal, you get an "additional 1 VP" if you only have 2 markers at the end of the game.
Additional? Meaning you get a total of 3VPS for having 2 markers? or you only still get 1VP for Two markers, then 3VP for having all 4 markers.


First turn, yep, you guessed it... walking and running.

Turn 2, we started to see some action. I chose his Francisco model and he chose Madam Sybelle, so we had a couple good volleys there. He ended up taking out Madam Sybelle first, and then on either turn 4 or 5, I managed to get Francisco.

He had a model (I forget the name - Nino?) who was able to be placed on the table at the start of the game, so he chose the high ground for a good sniper position. That caused me several problems in trying to figure out a way around that.

Also, he took out Seamus by hitting him twice, and using a trigger called "Headshot" that forced me to discard 2 cards (or 2 soulstones)... on the second hit, I didn't have enough cards or soulstones so he killed me outright. I think that was the key to winning the game there.
He also has one of the "Assassinate" Schemes to which he chose Seamus, so he got a couple more VP's there.

As mentioned before, I did manage to get all 4 of my markers down for "Line in the Sand", and could have tied the game, but I got a sense that Chris had forgotten one of the rules... that lets an opponent pick up a marker. So, being a good sportsman, I reminded him, and he was in fact, able to remove one of my markers, thus denying me the VP's. It was all in good fun of course.
So, if memory serves I think the score was 8-6 for him.

Oh, I should have mentioned our shared Strategy was "Turf war" and that's how Chris was able to score more points than myself. He was able to remove TWO of my Belle's when his one model blew himself up with dynamite! I tried to resurrect one with Seamus, but failed the attempt.

All in all a fun game, and I look forward to more games in the future. This Wednesday we're going to try and get more players together at the LGS, so maybe (time permitting) I can get another game in then. From what I saw, we had approx 5-7 people show up for the Pizzafaux event (sadly, I don't think everyone got to get a game in, due to the times, and odd number of players.)

A big thanks to our local Henchman Jim for getting this organized, and for some good pizza too.

PS> I hope to have a some better photos, if so, I'll post in another post, or update this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment